RUA SÃO JOAQUIM, 329
FORMER HEADQUARTERS OF THE SOCIEDADE FILARMÔNICA LYRA [LYRA PHILHARMONIC SOCIETY]
DESIGNED C. 1934
BUILT C. 1934
The Lyra Philharmonic Society, the original owner of the property, was founded on November 12, 1884 by 14 German immigrants and is the oldest active cultural association of German origin in São Paulo.
The foundation stone of the imposing Art Deco building was laid on April 22, 1934. The building was designed to house the new headquarters of the society. An immense lyre at the top revealed the building’s main purpose: music.
At the end of World War II the song being played changed: the building and the collection were confiscated by the Brazilian State in July 1944, and the building came to house the 4th Circunscrição de Recrutamento do Exército Brasileiro [4th District of Brazilian Army Recruitment]. Today being listed for preservation, the property is being legally returned to its original owners.